Conversation with a recruiter - 90+ job requirements
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2019 12:08 PM
To: James Garrigan
Subject: Re: IT Specialist - PC & Mac & Active Directory - James Garrigan has applied on Dice. Position Id
Welcome to my world.
Would you like to give it a shot or too much of a stretch? What rate would you be looking for?
We have done a decent amount of work with this client and filled a similar role with the team in the Fall.
Senior Director IT Business Development & Talent Acquisition
On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:05 PM James Garrigan <> wrote:
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2019 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: IT Specialist - PC & Mac & Active Directory - James Garrigan has applied on Dice. Position Id -
The Senior Desktop Engineer will be based in the New York office and will be responsible for providing desktop engineering, implementation and support for 350+ staff across multiple locations in the Americas region, including seven offices in six countries. The Senior Desktop Engineer will work closely with global colleagues, including Head Office in London and expected to take ownership for Americas desktop engineering initiatives as well as contributing significantly to the architecture and direction of global projects and support. The role will entail a mixture of day-to-day support as well as regional and global project work as outlined below.
- Provide support, expert advice and guidance on global desktop engineering projects and BAU support functions with a particular focus on Americas requirements
- Provide 3rd level investigation and resolution of desktop incidents, problems and support
- Provide support, expert advice and guidance within desktop field of expertise
- Lead the desktop engineering elements of projects for the Americas region; provide subject matter expertise on all matters related to the desktop platform including hardware, virtual platforms, desktop operating systems and Schroders standard desktop applications
- Own the desktop platform and standard operating environment (SOE) for the Americas and contribute into the global desktop platform strategy, representing the Americas region into the global infrastructure team
- Maintain, upgrade, recover, troubleshoot and provide general support of the global desktop platform
- Monitor availability and performance of desktop systems and rectify issues as required
- Provide second-level support responsibility for desktop platforms in the Americas region and globally, including Windows 7 and 10, Microsoft SCCM, McAfee and Sophos antivirus, Cisco VPN clients and virtual desktop brokers
- Maintain and support virtual desktop (VDI) platform, including Citrix XenDesktop and Vmware View brokers
- Create and deploy application packages using SCCM and application virtualisation technologies including MSI, Bigfix, Admin Studio and App-V
- Testing, validating and recording desktop technologies for software and hardware asset management & inventory
- Plan and implement patches, hotfixes and upgrades to the Microsoft desktop environment at both backend server and front-end client desktop operating system and application levels
- Own the desktop end-point security function for the Americas including controls/tools for anti-virus, malware, hardware and software intrusion detection systems
- Work with a mixture of external vendors and 3rd party managed service providers for desktop support & projects.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex desktop related issues escalated from first and second level support
- Monitor availability and performance of physical and virtual desktop systems
- Experience with desktop platform monitoring and alerting technologies for both physical and virtual desktops
- Expert level knowledge and of desktop operating system performance monitoring, analysis and tuning
- Seek opportunities to improve system performance and routine processes through scripting automation
- Document processes for internal policies and procedures related to desktop platforms
- Assess, document and implement desktop platform changes as required in conjunction with risk and security teams
- Perform infrastructure configuration management activities, and follow change management procedures for implementing any changes to the production desktop environment
- Adherence to all ITIL best-practice, including formal change, incident, problem and asset management processes
- Implement necessary Group Policy Objects and Active Directory changes to support the desktop platforms
- Document processes for internal policies and procedures for changes and standard operating procedures
- Have expert level knowledge of:
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Windows Server 2008 and 2012
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 & 2012
- Active Directory, including group policies and AD replication
- Support responsibility for Active Directory (AD), DNS and Windows server management.
- Sophos and/or McAfee end-point protection systems
- Powershell and VB scripting expertise for systems automation
- Support and implementation of complex global multi-site TCP/IP network environments
- Cloud hosted services including Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Lenovo laptops and desktops, Microsoft Surface laptops and tablets
- Apple iPhone and iPad IOS and Android mobile application integration
- Microsoft Lync 2010 and 2013 server and Microsoft Lync and Skype for Business clients
- Remote access platforms, including Cisco VPN client
- Cisco switches, routers and wireless LAN controllers, including Nexus, Catalyst and ASR and OTV
- Checkpoint, Cisco ASA and Palo Alto firewalls
- Bluecoat proxies, Cisco Ironport, Riverbed Steelhead
- Symantec Enterprise Vault, Compliance Accelerator (CA) and Discovery Accelerator (DA)
- Blackberry Enterprise Server
- Mobile Iron Mobile Device Manager
- Antivirus software for an email environments (such as Antigen and Sophos)
- Email spam filtering and content filtering software such as Cisco Ironport and Mimecast
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant combination of education and experience.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience; ideally within banking or financial services
- An ability to tackle and take ownership of projects and problems from start to finish
- Respond to all customer inquiries in a courteous and professional manner.
- Experience delivering seamless technical solutions partnered with strong project management methods (both waterfall and Agile) to a globally distributed end-point base of at least 1000 systems in diverse geographies
- Contribute actively to globally led desktop engineering architecture standards and initiatives
- Act as a third line infrastructure analyst for service request tickets following established protocols and processes
- Create, document, own and escalate issues and problems in accordance with ticketing standards and SLAs.
- Implement desktop infrastructure projects at local, regional and group level
- Maintain and set standards for disaster recovery desktop infrastructure for Americas offices at offsite BCP facility
- Lead, mentor, and supervise junior members of managed service desktop support team
- Monitor workstation fleet with support from managed service provider and act as escalation resource as required
- Adhere to departmental policies for reporting and managing requests and change control.
- Qualified to provide standard IT systems advice and troubleshooting.
- Ability to quickly grasp on user patterns and reoccurring issues and communicate to management potential solutions to enhance the end user environment.
- Ability to tackle issues from a creative viewpoint.
- Ability to take criticism from end users and remain focused at the task at hand.
- Has routine interaction with others in the organization involving global transfer of factual information.
- Develop a good understanding of organisation infrastructure standards and processes and support SLA’s.
- Shared responsibility for supporting MS Lync 2010/2013 Unified Communications platform
- Support of financial services trading staff in a dealing room environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including strong documentation skills
- Recognized professional certification in Microsoft technologies
- Excellent technical problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a time-pressured environment supporting a dynamic, demanding finance environment
- Some weekends/late nights and flexibility in schedule will be required
- Vendor engagement and working with third party suppliers/vendors for procurement and operational issues
- Experience with the following considered a plus
- VMware vSphere and ESX Server
- Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services
- SQL Server
- ITIL Foundation certificate
- IT security services including certificates, SSL, intrusion detection & prevention (IDS & IPS), penetration testing
- Nectar network and voice monitoring appliances
- The ability to work as part of a team, both locally in New York and with Schroders colleagues globally
- Comfortable working as part of a matrix managed organisation across multiple countries and time zones
- Adopt, embrace, and promote Agile/KanBan and rapid innovation practices with peers
- Working closely with project managers to participate in resource estimates and deliver to agreed deadlines
- Self-motivated to learn and adapt to new skills for solving challenging information technology problems
- The ability to explain complex technical issues to non technical members of staff.
- Strong planning, organizing, time and priority management skills; ability to manage multiple streams of work
- Ability to manage competing schedules of project and operational tasks
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to engage with internal and external customers and suppliers as required
- The ability to lead and to mentor more junior members of staff
Senior Director IT Business Development & Talent Acquisition